PRP - Luke and see

Earth is the world, almost exactly as you and I know it today, it huddles in its galaxy oblivious to the forces which war over its inhabitants. It has many capital cities (which I will not patronise you by listing here) and a long and bloody history. The influences of heaven and hell have been subtle and nuanced over the years but manifest in any number of places.
Baneful
General Tyrant

PRP - Luke and see

Postby Baneful Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Lawrence didn’t really feel guilty about things. It didn’t matter to him that he was responsible for Melvin being Touched, the whole thing was just entertaining to the callous demon.

He knew the situation would bother his father so he told him about it and how Melvin would just love to meet him properly and watched Luke’s expression falter from its usual stern irritation. He couldn’t leave the cabin style house he and Matt had holed themselves up in but he could speak to the other man if Lawrence brought him to him.

The portal opened in Melvin’s bedroom unannounced and Lawrence stepped out of it.

“Luke says he can talk with you.” He said and winked at the other man. “And Merry Christmas.” This time of year was a bonanza harvest for all sides of the conflict.
MoonKit

Re: PRP - Luke and see

Postby MoonKit Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Starting a new life was providing it's own set of challenges new to Melvin. While he had had many human names and jobs, they had the support of the system of Heaven to provide him with necessary documentation to work through the legal trials and tribulations of being a documented person without actually having ever lived or been born. While he was sure he might be overqualified for a few jobs, he found his resume made him look strange and uneducated. Maybe even a bit illegal.

He could list off programs he was skilled in and languages he knew but could not reference any colleges or universities that might strengthen these claims. He had tons of jobs experience but could list any previous jobs as they were too long ago or tied to fake identities. This left him with a narrower list of job opportunities. He had sent his resume to a few clerical positions and a few stores. While restaurants were there, many were fast food and he knew being around there would make him ill. Being around something made without care by those who cared even less always made his stomach churn. There were a few local cafes he also applied to. Since it was the holidays, he knew many would wait till after New Year's and so he was left sitting at home after a newly established routine of jogging.

When Lawr came, Melvin was cleaning windows as Christmas music played on his phone. He had found a local radio station in hopes of learning about the area but it was all holiday tunes for days. He never celebrated holidays much and they often passed by him with only a simple notice in decorations. There was the general swelling of LIFE humans gave off around the season of Christmas but nothing much besides. Saint Patrick's day, Halloween, and New Year's tended to be rowdier and more laced with SIN.

To occupy his time till he had money to remodel, Melvin decided to clean up his new home as something to do.

Anything to do.

He was getting a bit stir crazy waiting around.

At Lawr's sudden appearance, he jumped in surprise before finding the man. "Merry Christmas. That's very good news. Did he say when?" He asked as he lowered the spray bottle to the coffee table.
Last edited by MoonKit on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:13 am

Lawrence always looked pleased, as if he'd just won a bet, and he couldn't keep the bright eagerness out of his expression as he looked at Melvin. Melvin was a prize, he was something heaven could have gotten real use out of but now he belonged to him. It felt good.

"He could probably see you today." he said. "You'll need to go to him though, for Reasons." he waved a hand vaguely, never one to explain what the hell he was talking about.

"This place is spotless." he said. "You are good at this whole Earth thing aren't you? I bet you didn't even use magic." It had taken a long time for Lawrence to figure out the complexities of laundry and cleaning and he knew a clean apartment when he saw one.
MoonKit

Postby MoonKit Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm

"I felt that using magic might make it go too quickly and - I really needed something that would last all day. I forgot how easy it was to navigate the human world when you had endless resources from heaven and no reason to hide yourself. The holidays also make it difficult to start living like a human. I've walked the town enough times that I don't want to come off as suspicious or mentally deranged by the populace - especially since I don't have much in the way outside of suits." A jogger was one thing. A man walking in a suit in winter was another.

Today he had a button up top but a sweater over that exposing the collar of the undershirt. He had dress pants and dress shoes on. Business casual.

"I couldn't think of much else to do." He admitted with some embarrassment.

"I would like to go now if that is alright with you. If I don't, I think I'll start pulling the floorboards to start cleaning those." He joked.

Maybe.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:10 pm

"Always fine with me." he said. "And you adapt well to whatever you turn your hand to." Lawrence had to be fastidiously clean, decay followed him bit by bit as a side effect of the sheer amount of SIN that he radiated. His aura pests didn't help, taking effort to contain and control. "I'm sure it won't be long before you get something together to wear that is more fitting. even if you do look good in a suit" Lawrence was wearing a white Christmas sweater with a gold deer embroidered into it in a cheery sort of way and looked as if he'd just wandered in from a Christmas dinner.

He gestured to the mirror behind him. "Through there and you'll be in a room in his house, he knows you are coming. I will not be joining you, we don't really get along and I don't want to be around him right now, given a choice. The same mirror will bring you back here. I'll wait."

The mirror wavered ominously where Lawrence had gestured.
MoonKit

Postby MoonKit Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:09 pm

He looked at the mirror but turned quickly as Lawr said he would not be coming with him. "You're staying here?" He said, glancing back at the mirror. He had never traveled through the mirrors without the demon with him, and he frankly didn't feel comfortable going solo without the one who controlled the magic going along with him. Magic was fickle and even the most experienced caster could find something going amiss. He worried about this more and more after he was determined to have this affliction. He could cause something strange to happen and then where would he end up? Some lower level of hell? The front doorstep of Heaven?

But Lawr hadn't lead him astray yet and he probably wasn't in any place to question a Duke of Hell. His magic prowess was probably far beyond his.

And it was just a hop over to a house on Earth. Nothing special. It should be fine.

"I suppose if it would cause problems, then it's for the best." He said, more to himself then the other. "Thank you for talking to him to even get this much set up for me. I appreciate it. I won't try to keep you waiting too long. Feel free to do whatever you like here. There isn't much though. I apologize I don't have something more entertaining in the house."

He took a breath, and stepped in the mirror.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

Lawrence, who had sat down on the couch didn't need to turn around to look at Melvin, and watched him intently, even as he fished out his phone and thumbed through it.

"You are welcome." he said, with a smile that could almost be heard in his voice. He'd noticed Melvin's fleeting hesitation about the mirror. He had good instincts really, but it was obvious his head was often ruled by his heart. It was always stupid to go into one of Lawrence's mirrors, it was tantamount to a handshake in demon terms, but Melvin probably didn't feel he had much further to fall.

Mirror magic was very rare and one of the few types of magic capable of true teleportation. It was just brutal and dangerous to deal with, and as many Hosts had died in the process of learning it, trapped between places or sliced to bits by their own magic as had ever mastered it. The mirror rippled like water in front of Melvin and when he entered it, there was a strange unnerving moment where he was between places and what almost felt like between worlds.

There wasn't any air in this between place, blackness pressing in all around him, weightless, sightless. But his gills would want to breathe. It felt like water, and yet was not water at all.

It didn't last. He emerged from the other mirror and would find himself in a small tidy bedroom in what looked like a cabin. There was a painting of a generic countryside scene on one wall, and a deer head looking blankly from another. Seated on the bed's tacky gingham sheets was a very thin, small sort of man. The resemblance to Lawrence's human form was immediate, something about the sharp cheekbones and blue eyes impossible to dismiss. But he looked scruffy, scruffy and older, his sideburns silver, his chin scruffy and shadowed. His hair was on the short side and he was dressed simply. He looked tired, the kind of tired that permeated every inch of him, as if he'd seen some shit and then some.

He raised a hand in greeting and it became apparent that it was completely black, as if he'd opted to tattoo every inch of skin on it for no real reason. The other one, though calloused, seemed fine. "Awright mate?" he said, his accent definitely English and not the normal sort of accent found in Heaven. "Melvin, right? Levi told me about your situation. The name's Luke, nice to meet you." and he extended his good hand in a friendly sort of way.
MoonKit

Postby MoonKit Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:10 am

The travel through the mirror was worse alone than with Lawrence. It was pressing, suffocating, and left yourself disorientated with no concept of where any direction was in hopes of escaping. He had just stepped into a pressuring void that took away all air and it was hard not to panic immediately knowing that Lawrence wasn't here with him to know that something might be wrong and to take action. With his heart racing, he struggled to keep calm and failed, before he was released and pushed out on the other side. Gasping loudly for air, he held his hands to his chest and tried to focus, glad beyond measure and issuing out silent prayers that he was alive.

It took him a moment before he realized where he was. When he was told he would be at Lawrence's father's home, he thought he would be spit out in a living room or kitchen. A bedroom was strange but he guessed that might be the only place for a mirror. What was startling was that the man was already there waiting, expecting him. The angel had thought that Luke would need to be alerted that he decided to come now and not later. Standing straight and trying to keep to brush aside the fact he had just been having a panic attack, he forced a quick smile.

"Ah. Yes. I'm alright. I'm - I just am not used to that sort of travel. I'll all in one piece." He said and gave a nervous little laugh he hadn't expected to come out and immediately hated.

"Yes. It's Melvin. It's very nice to meet you , Luke." He said, and offered his hand out to shake while trying not to let his eyes wander to stare at the other. Also, Levi? Was that Lawrence's other name? He'd have to ask.

"I'm sorry to call upon you around the holidays, but your son told me you might have some advice for me in navigating my current situation."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:23 am

“Haha, yes, I avoid mirror travel at all costs.” Luke said. “Even if I know Levi wouldn’t harm me intentionally it’s all a bit too unpleasant for me honestly.” By far the most impressive thing about the angel was how convincingly human he was, with most Hosts there were anachronistic habits and other tells that could give them away, and failing that there was a detectable variance in magic that also could give things away. Luke had none of that but had plenty of subtle human touches that marked him out as one of heaven’s eccentric Earth fanatics.

His handshake was earnest and contrary to everything else about him, there was magic in that hand, a sense of calm healing that rejuvenated and refreshed like an easy cool breeze on a summers day.

“And its no trouble at all honestly mate.” He said easily. “Us touched need to stick together. When no one’s on your side you’ve gotta be on your own side.” Fishing in a cigarette box with a fish on it, he retrieved a cig and lit it up, smoke easily wreathing him almost like a halo. It wasn’t the usual kind of choking dirty smoke humans seemed to enjoy though but instead had an incense sort of edge to it. It also seemed to take some of the edge off and clear Melvin’s head just a little.

“Come on downstairs, it’s more comfortable.” He said, rising from the bed and moving to the door. “Don’t mind the mess, I know Levi hates it.” And he headed through, leading the way downstairs, retrieving his hat from where he’d left it and putting it on. It too had a fish on it, a cartoon one this time that encouraged the veiwer to “KISS MY BASS” in enthusiastic letters.

The hallway wasn’t overly messy, it just seemed to have the kind of low level clutter of houses with children everywhere, small toys and colouring books strewn here and there, along with chew toys, boxes and other pet paraphernalia. The living room was similar but a hearty log fire was burning in the hearth and the place was decorated for Christmas. The whole house seemed to suppress the abyssal in Melvin and for the first time in a while his mind would be fully his own.

“I’ll be direct with you mate, I don’t have a cure for you, but maybe we can all figure things out together, and there are some things that work.”
MoonKit

Postby MoonKit Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:48 pm

It was hard not to drop his guard around Luke. While the man had similarities to the Duke that was his offspring, aside from their looks they felt miles apart. The man dressed far differently and his accent was one he wondered was adopted through time with humans or one learned to better hide among them. Melvin's grasp was firm but gentle, one he had decades of practice and felt confident was a good even ground to convey to humans and angels that he was confident but not boastful. Humans out too much value in it that he always made it a point to learn to do it well. Luke's was gentle but present, far from limp or loose, but with it came a surprising rush of magic that curtained lightly in a wash of healing magic. It was cool like spring mint.

It was hard not to get caught up in all the little charming details of the man and his home. The cigar box with the fish. The quirky little hat that despite it's tie to profanity still was charming in it's avoidance of it. Even more so was the general air of the smoke that he could tell was something peculiar. The more he followed, the more he wanted to take deep breathes to absorb the place inside to keep. More and more he was startled with each step just how bad being touched had been. The scratching at the back of his mind. The general feeling of being jumpy and watched. The fullness and strangeness of something moving about him but too close to him to force down. The whispering. The flickering of things like sunspots on his eyes trying to catch his attention. To show him a face he knew couldn't be there. It was like feeling a weight leave the bed as you slept, it bouncing the mattress and letting you finally feel relaxed enough to finally get some rest.

"I never thought I'd have to pick any side against those I served. But I know the gravity of the situation and appreciate you risking your well-being for someone knew who you do not know."

He followed through the hallway and stepped over a few toys and pet chews.

Once in the living room, he frowned slightly at the news. "I suppose it was hoping too much on that. If there I'd a way to keep it at Bay or from getting worse then. Lawr has already bound me for now to help keep me from harming the humans here. I noticed - your home. I feel like I was fogged but I feel things more clearly being here. Do you have some kind of magic placed on your home?"

Return to “Earth”