[Monthly Quest 002 - Garden]

Baneful
General Tyrant

[Monthly Quest 002 - Garden]

Postby Baneful Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:56 am

Lawrence liked gardens. He didn't like them for the same reason other people did. He liked them because there was something of them that spoke of the fall, something of them that felt cultivated and prepared, controlled by an owner or a master. There was nothing natural about a garden and so many of them existed to grow things to be eaten. They felt sinister like that and he liked things with a certain sinister flavour.

He'd run into another stygian briefly out in the nightmarescape and he'd found them facinating. They liked gardens too, and so he'd come to one. This wasn't part of his kingdom, he wasn't sure his kingdom had any gardens outside of the great cathedral. This was someone elses, or part of the tree, he wasn't sure. All that mattered was that all around them flowers bloomed in bright sweet smelling flowers and vines crept up the trunks of beautiful and ancient trees. The earth was loamy under his hooves and he lifted his tail off the ground just a little as he sat down to await his new companion, hoping that he would find his way to him.

He'd never seen a stygian quite like him before.
Toshi

Re: [Monthly Quest 002 - Garden]

Postby Toshi Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 am

Rodney was a soft, grey stygian who walked upright and wore long, flowing robes. He kept a broad brimmed hat pulled over his fluffy bangs. He didn't have any wings, but flowers seemed to always be near him, bright and whole. They left a strange, faint scent, something sad and carried by moonlight. There were herbs, too, and each of these had a name and work before them.

Rodney seemed at peace, walking into the garden. He knew gardens could be fearful places, but to him, they were places of love.

In the first stories, the first garden was like a miniature of the world. Created, cared for. Even in the wildest or strangest places had been made.

"This one's beautiful," Rodney said at once, looking up into the branches of the tree Lawrence was resting under.

He glanced at Lawrence too, shyly, the long, white Stygian's handsome coat making even the vibrant garden seem...well. It was like comparing a flower to a star.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:25 am

Lawrence couldn't help but smile, a friendly, gentle sort of smile that flashed a set of long teeth. It should have been threatening but it wasn't, tempered by the delicate way he angled his head. He followed Rodney's gaze up to the tree, looking it over. To him it was just a tree, a plant with few uses. It wasn't a city street or a grand hall, it was simply nature and he always found it difficult to see what beauty others observed in what was usually a messy place. Gardens were a place that he liked, but his joy was in the order, the control over what was essentially a chaotic world.

He could try and understand though. "It is." he said. "It has leaves of a very pleasing colour."

And it was strange to discuss things like this, without ulterior motives on his mind. He could have attached Rodney but what would be the point?

He glanced back to him. "I don't often get to sit down and appreciate the scenery. It's nice."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:15 am

"Yes," Rodney admitted, "It's...nice to get a break. What we do is important, but I admit I haven't had very much time to myself. So...a walk is..." His expression softened. "Thank you for meeting with me."

Most creatures he met...wouldn't do that either.

He smiled a little.

"It is beautiful scenery. But I'm...more grateful for the company than the flowers."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 pm

Lawrence considered this. "I suppose I don't get to meet many...real people. I was getting to the point where I had almost forgotten how to behave in company." It was easy to lose touch without an anchor, left to spiral within his own emptiness, down and down into a hell composed of emptiness and stunted imagination.

"You are a breath of fresh air." he said. "And the garden itself feels fresher for it."

He could only imagine what this stygian's kingdom might look like, no doubt beautiful and pleasing, lit by soft light and gentle seasons. Unlike his own barren and treacherous land where few managed to escape who accidentally wandered in.

"I'm glad of the company, it's a very lonely existence out here."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:13 pm

"Yes," Rodney agreed. "...Lonely. Sometimes I...don't mind. It's- a bit of relief. Having some quiet. ...Terrified humans aren't much for conversation." He looked conflicted. "Even if it's necessary."

He could identify many of the world's species, those rooted in the World were the easiest, but the ones conjured from imaginations spread through the dreamscape like grains of sleeping sand.

He lay a gentle hand on the bark, letting his mind wander to the dreams that had shaped this place.

" Have you been here before?" He asked Lawrence, "This garden's new to me."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:28 pm

"Never." Lawrence said matter of factly. "Though a lot of what I see day to day is new." He had his own favourite hunting grounds around the realms, finding humans he preferred, with dark, horrible dreams that he enjoyed frequenting, but for the most part he was always in search of something else, relentlessly moving from place to place.

"I don't like being alone." he said. "I'm a people person." And his smile was a little more toothy than he meant.

He curled his tail. "And most of the stygian I've ever met, they didn't stay long."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:50 pm

"Yes, I know what you mean," Rodney said. "I don't...blame anyone. But you met me again. I'm happy you did."

Rodney offered Lawrence a tenative hand up.

"Did...you want to go see what kind of garden it is? Or...I could rest with you a while in the shade. I...wouldn't mind either."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 am

Lawrence rose taking the proferred hand in an elegant hoof, but it was simply to move a little nearer to Rodney, smiling sweetly.

"How about a little bit of both?" he said. "We can go explore the garden and then we can rest in the shade together. I'd like to spend some time with you, if that is all right. I certainly don't have anywhere specific to be."

He batted Rodney amicably with his tail.

"I'm very fond of gardens. They are so organised, everything all laid out in a way that can be best appreciated."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:32 am

"Ah, good," Rodney said, flushing as Lawrence came near, and stayed near. He didn't let go of his hoof, although he knew Lawrence needed it to walk.

"There are many kinds," Rodney said, "this one seems very old. I'm hoping there's an herb patch, but I'd like to see how far the path goes. Even though parts seem overgrown, the path itself seems well-cared for. I...like that about them, too. That someone's...cared for them."

Return to “Stygian”