Clockwork Castle

For the birds with the brows.
Toshi

Re: Clockwork Castle

Postby Toshi Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 pm

"Yes, of course. If there's somewhere we could sit a while...? I hope...I wasn't interrupting your dinner," Lewis asked, in the kind of way that suggested he may have not eaten recently.

He wrestled the kitbull until it turned upsidedown, crossing both of its limbs in protest.

The cloud, which had been calm, danced for a moment, the leaves swirling prettily. As if relaxing, Lewis's long cloak wrapped up by itself into a more fitted coat, and from the depths of it Lewis drew a book, bound with soft leather and carefully tended to. The book itself had the feeling of magic, and far more was contained in the volume than the outward appearance of pages allowed for.

"What subject would you like?" Lewis asked, gently.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Tock was nothing if not well mannered and he was delighted to get to exercise his hospitality openly. "I just happened to be about to sit down for dinner!" he said brightly, all smiles, his crest ticking and swirling in what could be assumed to be an enthusiastic fashion. "I'd love for you to join me. It's just been me here for a long time, I've not had a visitor in years!"

And with a flourish, he sent his little mouse Hickory off to tell the others to lay the table. "It will be great just you wait, the dining room is amazing. Pardon how excited I am."

Scurrying over to the book he steepled his claws, tail flicking eagerly behind him. "Tell me about us." he said. "Tell me something about magic!"
Toshi

Postby Toshi Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:02 am

Lewis had been flicking past ghost teeth, revenants, irritating curses, and brain-eating searats, and seemed almost surprised to be asked about something pleasant.

"Oh, yes," Lewis said, "I have them here."

And in the book were beautiful, watercolored depictions of crests. Beside them, in careful cursive script, were descriptions. The general look of the bird, their disposition, and abilities, in case any of them tied in with the other.

"Our magic," Lewis began, "Is contained in our crests, which begin vague and gradually develop a structure. They're thought to be tied to the soul. M-more colors generally indicates more branches of, um, magic," and here Lewis looked briefly at the beautiful, spinning kaleidoscope above Tock.

"It's common to have two, although I've documented up to three with birds I've personally met. See, here, a diamond. And here a flame. It's a...very intimate expression of self. Our crests."

The cloud drifted above him peacefully as he explained, with an active flutter of gold, almond-shaped leaves.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 am

Tock listened with the most rapt expression to what the other browbird had to say, all the while looking at his strange and cloudy crest. His reference material had been so sparse regarding the details of his kind, mostly concerned about the anatomy and appearance of browbirds and their nomadic and far ranging nature over anything which he could truly apply to himself. His crest had always been a mystery to him, appearing without warning or explanation. He wanted to see the pictures and looked long and carefully at the wide ranging types depicted therin. “They are all very beautiful.” He said, but seemed a little concerned that none of them looked like his. “Do they all move?” he asked, once again admiring Lewis’ leaves and the way they seemed to flutter in an invisible breeze.

“Three?” he said looking a little concerned. “I know four.”

Meanwhile in the great hall hundreds of mice were hard at work clearing the space and setting up dinner. At the very least in spite of the age of the place there was no dust and the food stayed intact for a very long time. The lamps were lit and the ceiling with its sky overhead illuminated and all around were enormous stained glass windows. The movement could be heard from where they were but not yet seen.
Toshi

Postby Toshi Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:48 am

"Ah, four!" Lewis blustered in surprise, "That...that must make you- excuse me, I haven't met an ancient before, it explains...oh, if you had been raised in one of the major cities, you would be a...a n-noble, certainly, but,"

Lewis looked again, shyly, at the other bird's crest, and at the rest of the castle.

"You...seem to have done alright for yourself. Maybe...you didn't need any of that. H-here, there's more. There are 22 recorded disciplines of magic, and four major types. I haven't encountered all of them myself. Substance is one of the most common. An affinity for the elements...Fire, Water.." he turned gently to drawings of crests that had been paired with this kind of magic use. "There are Magics of the Mind. Celestial magics...that's dealing with the flow of magic and the universe itself. And...Void. The darker arts. The crest's shape doesn't effect the element, but it does change the execution. A large, bright crest, for example, would be capable of greater and longer-lasting magics. And a small crest holds only a little magic in reserve."

He showed Tock a crest that was only a small, round speck.

The loopy script under read: Fire/Speech, Tough and muscular physique, dull in color with striped patterns, brusque affect.

Lewis's own crest was the second entry under the topic of Crests. It included the leaves in a gold ink with a metallic sheen.

Underneath his crest was written, Wood/Wind, Tall and thin physique, warm in color with patchy patterns. He had not written an affect.

The very first entry looked strange, the writing and drawing itself smeared beyond recognition. There was something dark about the obscuring, not done with ink, but as if the entry itself had twisted up into itself. Lewis looked at it only briefly.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 am

Tock was absolutely riveted by the book and the information in it. “You are quite the artist.” He said with open admiration. “Provided you did all of this.” And he found himself gripped for the first time with an intense and very deep desire to help the other browbird fill in the gaps in his work, to consume knowledge relentlessly, travelling all over the way he evidently Lewis had been. “With that many different disciplines the number of potential combinations must be frankly enormous. As many types of magic as there are types of browbird I imagine.”

He gently touched the page, tracing the edge of the picture of Lewis’ crest, fascinated by the natural appearance of it in contrast to his own.

“I am not sure where on the spectrum my magic falls.” He said. “It can be fairly unusual, I suppose I am unusual too, in my way. I knew magic before I had a crest, which is odd, given that you say the crest is centre of magic.”

He hesitated a little. “Could I perhaps come with you? When you go on?” it was rude and pushy but he couldn’t help himself. “We can take the castle. I can offer it as transport.”
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:28 am

"Oh," Lewis fumbled at the offer, closing the book clumsily. The touch to the illustration had felt almost intimate, but it was the offer to travel with him that had really startled him. "Y-yes, they're...only studies..."

He became more strangled and frantic, in fact, at the offer, holding the book close to him.

"With me, do you mean, dr-dropping me off at the next port...?"
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 pm

"Well they are better than studies." he said. "They are excellent, very impressive indeed. I love art and even more than that I love informative art, you have a talent for recording things! I can't draw anything decent. I just make things like windows. With words." Though he didn't explain exactly what he meant by that.

"And er..oh.. Yes. If that's what you want? I was hoping you would stay on a little longer than that, but you are right that perhaps that is a little pushy of me, no doubt you have many important places to actually be."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:35 pm

"Oh no, it's not that, forgive me, it's only...terribly dangerous. I used to, that is-"

Lewis looked even more frantic, and in danger of bolting. He clung to his book. His cloud, which had been relaxed, was now doing dizzy circles round and round his head until it looked more like a cyclone.

"T-traveling, with me is...It is a death wish."

He didn't expect to make it to the end of his journey alive, or even intact. He expected worse than death, if he was honest.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 am

Tock looked wholly unconcerned at the idea of anything being a death wish. He wasn’t actually afraid of anything at all that he’d ever run into, charged with a sort of innate power that reassured him through anything he encountered. If he couldn’t talk his way out of a situation, he was sure that he’d find another way out. Lewis’ statement sounded like nothing more than a challenge and he frankly loved a good challenge.

“You’ll forgive me if I remain a little sceptical at that.” He said delicately, the floating shards around his crest seeming to tick in time with his thoughts. “It might well have been the case for other people, but it isn’t the case for me.”

He flicked his tail. “I think that I could fight death, given half a chance.” And he smiled. “The first magic I ever learned to use was Time. This castle will go anywhere we want it to go and it will keep us safe as we go.”

There was something perhaps a little bit sinister in just how keen he was, already thinking about all the dark creatures he would imprison as they went.

Return to “Browbirds”