Clockwork Castle

For the birds with the brows.
Toshi

Re: Clockwork Castle

Postby Toshi Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Lewis looked deep into the other browbird's eyes.

"You haven't...s-seen it. Oh, if only...I could go back. If I'd had Time THEN,"

He looked dizzy and distressed, and sat directly on the floor.

"It...it isn't your burden. You could end up erased. If...you only want to see the world, and your Castle really can go, you c-can see it. Islands, oceans, the brightest places, the best foods of every shining world. Instead of...the dark and dim far corners, filled only with monsters and terrors."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 am

Tock looked a bit nonplussed at Lewis for his comments, not sure what sort of past was referring to but already mentally nudging him closer to “a bit damaged” classification the more he said. Still, he unflinchingly met the other browbird’s gaze, crazy or not. “I won’t be erased.” He said with a flat certainty. “There is far too much of me to be erased. Nor do I want to live in nothing but luxury and surrounded by nothing but nice things, I actually want to find and ransack the dark places of the world, I want to conquer darkness and death. I want to chase the shadows out of those dire corners you talk about.” He wasn’t a creature of light, not half as squeaky clean and as creatures who were but there was a certainty in him as steely as the iron machinery that he knew trundled ever onwards inside the enormous castle, ticking and ticking under their feet. Time didn’t hesitate, it didn’t doubt, it simply proceeded onwards, slicing reality into measurable and logical chunks.

“I have my own burdens.” He said. “And I’m quite happy to share them in due course.” He moved over to place a neat claw on Lewis’ shoulder. “I won’t impose on whatever quest you are on if it is not something you can share or even want to share, if you like I’ll take you anywhere you want and drop you off, I won’t bother you any further after that point.” He turned and walked away from the other browbird again, this time in the direction of the dining hall, where the distant smells of cooking were beginning to waft through. He had to raise his voice a little to be heard as he went. “But my offer stands.”
Toshi

Postby Toshi Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:12 pm

"I...didn't mean to bring darkness to your door," Lewis whispered, shoulders slumping under the claw. His look became keen at the smell of food, however, which overwhelmed whatever lingering guilt and horrors there were. He held his book and the kitbull tightly to him, and found his wobbly way to his feet, not even sure when he had sat down.

"It's a beautiful castle," Lewis said, still feeling shabby and out of place, and looking at Tock when he said it. Unspoken was the fact that the browbird, too, was overwhelmingly beautiful, all glass and shining light and order, and if anything felt like it didn't belong in the shadows it was here, and him.

Everything was warm. The rich and savory aroma of a dinner (a proper dinner!!) was heavy in the air.

"Have you seen them?" He asked, "The...dark corners. I'll...p-perhaps we shouldn't spoil dinner, but if you don't have any previous experience, I could show you- and then...and then you could, do as you liked."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:19 pm

"I'm not afraid of the darkness, like I told you. It makes no difference at all to me." There wasn't much he feared, the only thing that anyone had to fear was the unknown and even that was defeated in its proper time with patience and knowledge. It simply sounded to him like Lewis was afraid of what he didn't understand. That could be mended and he already had the means with his little book and its pictures, he just needed more of them.

"It belonged to my master." he said. "I just kept it and improved it. It's mostly as he left it. I replaced the windows." And the windows were all kinds of colours, designs and strangeness, even in the dining room.

He took a sip of something that sparkled many colours. "That would be fine with me. You can show me whatever you like, and I will do as I've always done, which is indeed exactly as I wish."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 pm

The fears all seemed to flutter out of Lewis for only a moment as he took in the meal.

Any moment, surely, something would, could, might go wrong. The brightness would be snuffed out, the food dissolve into worms, his host turn into something twisted and old and horrible...but as he looked at the other browbird, he seemed very real. His crest rotated steadily in a way that seemed very certain of things staying exactly the way they were.

"One venture," Lewis agreed, taking a seat.

Mystery turned up his little face at the food, reaching his paw very determinedly for Tock's key.

When nothing looked like it was going to drop him into a dungeon, Lewis reached to use the serving spoons, being careful of the mice, which he seemed nervous of.

"Tock," Lewis started, "You don't seem afraid of very much, and perhaps not much has challenged you. But skill and bravery only go so far. Some birds...are drawn to misfortune. I suppose, if we are venturing, I should tell you why."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Nothing changed about the scene, the food smelling delicious, tiny mice dressed in little smocks brought over plates to the seated browbird before scurrying away again. Tock seemed used to their presence, simply extending a claw to be brought a piece of bread which he nimbly dipped in the soup. He seemed thoughtful, but he always did, looking at Lewis and his kitbull with a fond sort of curiosity, as if both were a very rare type of glass or a creature long thought extinct to add to a menagerie.

"I've never had much reason to be afraid, that's true." he said. "A few creatures have tried to pillage the castle in its time, but they were all swiftly dealt with. None presented much of a challenge at all. I almost look forward to one."

He nodded. "But absolutely, please do share your tale, I am dying to know."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

"I had...have a brother," Lewis began. "It's rare for browbirds. When we have eggs, we raise them communally, from a hatchery. But our parents didn't go back. So we grew up apart from um, the main society, it's part of why I'm out here in the Further..."

He shook his head, none of that was here or there.

"H-he was the brave one. We...were treasure hunters. He always let me come along. And w-we ran into danger, every now and again, but he- liked it, I think, I'm sorry, my memories of him are...hazy. We went- I don't know, to find- something. There were...w-woods. And something....something very bad, happened. I th-think he was...t-taken." (Killed, erased). "We had a ship, and that's gone too, it was just me left, but I have some clues. I've been doing everything to find him again."

Lewis didn't have a plan beyond that.

"Maybe I'll get taken too," Lewis whispered, "But if it had been me, he wouldn't have stopped searching. And...and anyway, I think that it was...my fault." He rubbed his big, blue eyes. His cloud grew hazy above him, shifting strangely.
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Tock listened with open curiosity to Lewis' tale, fascinated by what he had to tell and trying very hard to imagine all of it. He'd never heard of hatcheries but it sounded like something to behold, tends, hundreds of browbirds all in one place. Lewis was the first he'd met and he was already impressed with what he saw.

He couldn't really imagine what it was like to have a sibling, and even less so what it was like to lose one after having it. But he knew loss and pain, he'd lost Cog and that was a wound still raw and aching, one he hadn't even begun to deal with. "I don't think you will get taken." he said flatly and his crest froze for a long moment as he looked at the other browbird. "I don't want that to happen." And it was spoken like someone who was very used to getting his own way no matter what. "Why was it your fault? It sounds like no one's fault."
Toshi

Postby Toshi Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:30 am

Lewis scowled, searching his memory further, but thinking on it was like worrying a tooth that wasn't there anymore.

"I just feel like it might have been," he said. "Trying to remember, it's like looking through a pair of glasses that are somebody else's." He felt sick if he lingered too long. "But I have a brother," he said, determined, "who I'm going to find. And you're obviously very beautiful," he tapped the plate with his fork, "strong, I mean. Powerful, magically, but I don't know about dragging you into all of that, or putting you in danger."
Baneful
General Tyrant

Postby Baneful Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:01 am

"Well I say it wasn't your fault." he said. "And you can't prove otherwise. But certainly, seek them out. I''l help you out as much as possible. I don't have anywhere I need to be after all."

He did incline his head a little at the mention of beauty. He'd never considered himself pleasing in that respect, to him the real beauty was in the unknown, in the wild and incomprehensible. He was a known, an understood thing. "Beautiful." he repeated.

He smiled in a way that showed off his very sharp teeth. "I'm not in danger. Lewis I am TIME. I could retreat from any death I saw coming. I am hard to harm, harder to kill. You can't catch time."

Return to “Browbirds”